SSH Cisco IOS
The SSH Version 2 server is supported in Cisco IOS Release 12.3(4)T, 12.3(2)XE, 12.2(25)S, and 12.3(7)JA.
The configuration for the SSH Version 2 server is similar to the configuration for SSH Version 1. The ip ssh version command was introduced so that you may define which version of SSH to configure. If you do not configure this command, SSH by default runs in compatibility mode; that is, both SSH Version 1 and SSH Version 2 connections are honored.
SSH Version 1 is a protocol that has never been defined in a standard. If you do not want your router to fall back to the undefined protocol (Version 1), you should use the ip ssh version command and specify Version 2.
On Pre IOS 15 SSH version 2 is only a SSH version 1.99 because it is missing some of the mandatory features of version 2.
Restrictions for Secure Shell Version 2 Support
- SSH servers and SSH clients are supported in 3DES software images.
- Execution Shell, remote command execution, and SCP are the only applications supported.
- Rivest, Shamir, and Adelman (RSA) key generation is an SSH server-side requirement. Routers that act as SSH clients need not generate RSA keys.
- The RSA key pair size must be greater than or equal to 768.
- The following functionality is not supported:
- Port forwarding
Example of configuration
crypto key generate rsa general-keys modulus 1024 ! hostname R1 ! username admin password 0 l8heise ! ip domain-name TSHOOT.HOT ! aaa new-model aaa authentication login default local aaa authentication login CONSOLE none aaa authorization exec default local aaa session-id common ! enable secret cisco ! interface Loopback0 ip address 220.127.116.11 255.255.255.255 ! ip ssh time-out 60 ip ssh authentication-retries 2 ip ssh source-interface Loopback0 ip ssh logging events ! line vty 0 4 transport input ssh ! line con 0 login authentication CONSOLE ! service password-encryption